As a Human Biology major with a not-so-strong computers background, the thought of taking a Computer Science course was somewhat intimidating. So far in this course (CSC104 - The How and Why of Computing), I have faced multiple challenges, especially in the programming portions. However, the one lecture topic that had really confused me was Boolean Logic.
"True or false is true and true and false is false."
But why?
To me, "true or false" meant that the answer could be either "true" or "false"- why would it automatically be true? I guess you could say I found Boolean logic to be very illogical, and when you throw NANDs and NORs into the equation it just makes everything even worse.
After hours of reading and re-reading Wikipedia and still not understanding anything, I turned to my TA for help. Amazingly, he was able to explain the whole thing to me in under 15 minutes. I realized the statements were not as horrible as I had originally envisioned them and they were in fact, pretty easy to solve. After that, I was quite pleased to see Boolean logic on the midterm!

It's important to have good rapport with your TA.
ReplyDelete